Tuesday 4 December 2012

November Tripping


If you could frame November it would look a bit like this. Photo:Ed Hamer  
  
I have just returned from a fantastic months tour competing in 3 international events.  The outcome of this month is my finalized European ranking of 5th and a 13th place in the European Youth Championships, this is the end of my time in the Junior category (18-19yrs) 2012. I also competed and came 38th in a senior world cup round. This great trip marks the end of a long season and brings to an end representing the junior GB team. It was the last few 1000kms of a year off the rails.

Super technical 2nd Qualifier, Gemozac Photo:Phil Waterhouse  
Firstly I headed to Gemozac on the west coast of France for the first ever-European Youth Championships where I came 13th. From there I traveled south for a couple of weeks climbing in the Pyrenees onsighting my first 8a, Johnnie Walker at Calames, Ariege. When it was time to move on I stopped over to get lost in the winding streets and canals of Venice before finally arriving at the small mountain town of Kranj, Slovenia for the final 2012 Senior World cup round (coming 38th). Ed Hammer joined me for a week of bouldering and I finishing with my last ever European Youth Series round (also coming 13th).

Climbing in the beautiful Ariege, Johnnie Walker 8a, Photo:Sarah Whitehouse 

Just sticking the hold to go on and make a few more moves on my last EYC route
Photo: Rebekah Drummond 


 It seems appropriate that Kranj was the first and last venue that I competed in for a European youth event. What a year to finish on! It gave me such pride to pass on the team captaincy to Molly Thompson Smith who already goes above and beyond the role and will be at the forefront of a great time for British competition climbing, she is my hero! I am looking forwards to being involved in the progression of our junior team and seeing where all of our seriously talented climbers can reach. Lets make history!

Following the tracks of life Photo: Ed Hamer 


Watch out for a detailed account of my trip on my blog – luketilley.co.uk 

No comments:

Post a Comment