Saturday 16 April 2011

Reading Climbing Centre Bouldering League by Jen Wilby

Reading Climbing Centre Bouldering League by Jen Wilby

Reading Climbing Centre opened its doors to the public in late 2010 and soon the first series of their Winter Bouldering League began. The league consisted of six rounds and with the new centre and psyched setters; everyone was looking forward to it. I was also excited to test out my new Optimus Prime’s which were making their debut.

The first five rounds were a mixture of pleasure and pain, with technical & powerful problems there were shouts of joy and of pain throughout the five rounds. With this being my first season of competitions I was unsure as to how it would turn out and focused on doing the best I could and developing my competition tactics.

The final round was held on Friday March 15th. Going into the final round I was already the out right winner in the Female Open category. The final round proved to be a powerful and dynamic set, which is one of my weaknesses so I was keen to see how my power training would improve my performance and whether I would see a difference. The Prime’s were awesome, proving equally as good on all areas, smears, heel hooks and edges!

After warming up on the fairly steady problems, I decided to tackle the roof problems – renowned for using my feet on every move I can, when I managed to campus it (which is how I found out it was set) I was pleased. My raw power seems to be improving.

The competition ended at 9pm with prize giving shortly after. It was fantastic to see such a good turn out for a new centre. After I received my 1st prize and seeing 2nd and 3rd go to some good friends I met in SIBL, it was time to announce the Male Open results. With Jon Partridge claiming 1st, it was fantastic to see Rob Lloyd get 2nd place.

Well done to everyone and a huge thank you to the staff at RCC!

No comments:

Post a Comment