Tuesday 27 December 2011

Europe Bound...for 12 whole months by Jen Wilby

Most climbers describe "Living the Dream" as being able to climb...with no interference...no work...no commitments. You wake up ... you climb, happy days. However few take the leap and decide to go for it. This year I knew something had to change, short climbing trip's were not enough, I needed more. The last 6 months have involved making the dream and trip of a life time come true, it's been stressful and hard work...but the end result is amazing.

I've had a lot of people say how amazing it is with the comment of " I wish I could do that", my answer has been "Why not?". If you really want to make something happen, you can. It might be hard work and scary at times...but you can do it. I'm not saying this lightly, I had a house, a good job, family and friends, a routine and it scary giving all that up to go and live in a van and climb some rocks. I will say to anyone out there who wants to do it - you can do it...you've just got to figure out how :)

My last post described my training plan to get rid of the jam and actually start using my arms...as usual, as soon as I try to get stronger I get injured. The return of the impingement and golfers elbow (I hate golf!) put me on hold for the last 4 weeks. It's been heart breaking having to take my foot off the gas and potter, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. After visit's to the physio, it appears my body does not work as designed. Turns out I use my pecks for everything and my shoulders and biceps don't activate...this should make me sad / angry, however I can't help but imagine how climbing would feel if I could actually use my biceps :) At last I have an answer as to why I can't do pull ups! Hurrah!

Therefore the last 4 weeks have been spent trying to activate my muscles correctly...and it's working! Every now and then I feel my bicep do its job, to the extent where it's totally put me off a move! Ha!

Anyway, there isn't much to post about climbing. I plan to get out on the Yorkshire grit before going back down south, or if the weather is against me, it will be more sessions at Sunderland Climbing Wall - which has some amazing blocs at the moment!

All I wanted to say is, you can do what ever you set your mind to - it just takes hard work. Rest when your body tells you to and enjoy your climbing!

My next post will be from Europe, I hope to put up details of crags/routes etc for anyone wanting to venture to them I'll provide as much information as I can.

Happy Climbing and hope everyone has a cranking 2012.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment